A number of institutional acts and activities for residents, such as concerts, conferences and sporting events at sea and in the mountains, take place on this day in Mallorca.
Mallorca Diada celebration
Mallorca’s Diada celebration, which takes place on September 12, commemorates the oath taken by King James II in 1276 to uphold a charter entitled Carta Franqueses i privilegis del Regne de Mallorca, a series of advantageous rights granted by the king to the kingdom of Mallorca, which formed the legal basis of the community’s standing.
The franqueses was exemptions from certain norms or customs and the privilegis were rights granted exclusively to a city or region. Through them, King James II of Mallorca guaranteed islanders a series of rights and liberties that allowed them to live unrestricted by many of the feudal tributes that were almost universally widespread in Europe.
Mallorca’s institutions sponsor a wide array of activities during September.
More information: www.illesbalears.es
- Sant Joan – Mallorca: Festa del Sol que balla (0)
- Petra – The fiesta of Padre Serra (0)
- Mallorca Revetla de Sant Joan (0)
- Valldemossa, Fiesta del Carro Triomfal de la Beata (0)
- Valldemosa Frédéric Chopin Piano Festival (0)
- Son Marroig Deyá International Music Festival (0)
- Sóller, Sa Mostra International Folk Festival (0)
- Sóller Les Valentes Dones (0)
- Santa Margalida, Mallorca: La Beata festival (0)
- Sant Joan, Mallorca: Festa del Pa i el Peix (0)
- Pollenca’s fiestas: the battle between Moors and Christians (0)
- Pollenca International Classical Music Festival (0)
- Pollenca – The Feast of Corpus Christi (0)
- Palma de Mallorca: The Procession of the Beata, St. Catalina Thomas (0)
- Palma de Mallorca: The Festa de l’Estendard (0)
- Palma de Mallorca: The Feast of Santa Lucía (0)
- Mallorca Palm Sunday (0)
- Mallorca Mare de Deu festival (0)
- Inca’s patron saints’ days’ feast: Sant Abdó and Sant Senén (0)
- Illes Balears: Balearic Nativity Scenes (0)
- Fiestas de San Agustín in Felanitx, Mallorca (0)
- Capdepera, Mallorca: Medieval market in Capdepera Castle (0)
- Calvià, Mallorca: King Jaume I festivities (0)
- Binissalem: Festa des Vermar, the grape harvest festival (0)
- Mallorca, Sant Bartomeu patron saint festivities of Montuïri (0)
Category: Spain festivals