All over Mallorca, Palm Sunday, or Sunday of the Passion, marks the beginning of Easter Week with palm fronds to commemorate Jesus Christ’s entry in Jerusalem.
Mallorca - Palm Sunday all around Mallorca
Easter Week celebrations begin with an afternoon mass on Palm Sunday at Palma Cathedral followed by the procession of priests and believers who parade through the streets preceded by the Bishop of Palma while he blesses the palm fronds and olive branches belonging to the many spectators with holy water.
úIt is customary to keep palm fronds that have been blessed at home to protect the family.
The mass in Palma Cathedral will be attended by many priests from all over Mallorca as well as the Bishop, who officiates the mass and renews the sacramental oil.
These oils, which come from Bunyola, are blessed along with the bread, water and wine.
More information: www.illesbalears.es
- Valldemosa Frédéric Chopin Piano Festival (0)
- Sóller, Sa Mostra International Folk Festival (0)
- Sant Joan, Mallorca: Festa del Pa i el Peix (0)
- Fiestas de San Agustín in Felanitx, Mallorca (0)
- Calvià, Mallorca: King Jaume I festivities (0)
- The Sant Tomas Fair and slaughtering day display in Sineu, Mallorca (0)
- Son Marroig Deyá International Music Festival (0)
- Sóller Les Valentes Dones (0)
- Santa Margalida, Mallorca: La Beata festival (0)
- Sant Joan – Mallorca: Festa del Sol que balla (0)
- Pollenca’s fiestas: the battle between Moors and Christians (0)
- Pollenca International Classical Music Festival (0)
- Pollenca – The Feast of Corpus Christi (0)
- Petra – The fiesta of Padre Serra (0)
- Palma de Mallorca: The Procession of the Beata, St. Catalina Thomas (0)
- Palma de Mallorca: The Festa de l’Estendard (0)
- Palma de Mallorca: The Feast of Santa Lucía (0)
- Mallorca: The Festivity of Les Verges, St. Ursula’s Eve (0)
- Mallorca Revetla de Sant Joan (0)
- Mallorca Mare de Deu festival (0)
- Mallorca Diada celebration (0)
- Illes Balears: Balearic Nativity Scenes (0)
- Capdepera, Mallorca: Medieval market in Capdepera Castle (0)
- Mallorca, Sant Bartomeu patron saint festivities of Montuïri (0)
- Valldemossa, Fiesta del Carro Triomfal de la Beata (0)
Category: Spain festivals