Ciutadella, Menorca’s former capital, is an ideal “base camp” for a number of side trips. The C-721 leads to Ferreries and, from here, one then takes the PM-714 to Cala Galdana, the chief tourist resort in the area.
Ferreries, at roughly 462 ft. above sea level, is the highest town on Menorca. Grouped around the Church of Sant Bartomeu (1870) are the town’s oldest buildings. Aside from Cala Galdana, the municipal boundaries encompass the beaches of Cala Calderer, Cala Moragues and Cala del Pilar. On the Santa Agueda hillside lie the ruins of the Moorish Castle of Sent Agayz, and the remains of an old Roman road.
Cala Galdana is Ferreries’ tourist resort par excellence, though part of the development actually extends into the Ciutadella municipal area. Curving along the river mouth at the point where it opens out from the Algendar barranco, this is one of the most popular beaches on Menorca. Cala Mitjana and Cala Trabalúger are also in the vicinity.