Junipero Serra was the founding father of California and was born here in Petra in 1713. He is celebrated on the third Sunday of September with a fair that offers various activities and a parade of floats in his memory. Petra also contains a museum dedicated to his life.
Petra - The fiesta of Padre Serra
The festive atmosphere of the fair, which takes place on Saturday, combines with the events on the following day organised by the villagers in homage to the evangeliser of distant Californian lands. A parade with floats decorated with scenes from Serra’s life and a floral offering, along with other activities, fill the streets of this small village on Mallorca’s central plain.
Father Junípero Serra (Miquel Josep Serra i Ferrer) was born in Petra in 1713, personally founded nine missions that became some of the most important cities in Alta California (the U.S.) over time.
A documentation centre to disseminate his work as well as his birthplace, which contains elements of the time in which Serra lived, are open to visitors in Petra, Mallorca.
More information: www.illesbalears.es
- Sant Joan – Mallorca: Festa del Sol que balla (0)
- Mallorca Revetla de Sant Joan (0)
- Mallorca Diada celebration (0)
- Valldemossa, Fiesta del Carro Triomfal de la Beata (0)
- Valldemosa Frédéric Chopin Piano Festival (0)
- Son Marroig Deyá International Music Festival (0)
- Sóller, Sa Mostra International Folk Festival (0)
- Sóller Les Valentes Dones (0)
- Santa Margalida, Mallorca: La Beata festival (0)
- Sant Joan, Mallorca: Festa del Pa i el Peix (0)
- Pollenca’s fiestas: the battle between Moors and Christians (0)
- Pollenca International Classical Music Festival (0)
- Pollenca – The Feast of Corpus Christi (0)
- Palma de Mallorca: The Procession of the Beata, St. Catalina Thomas (0)
- Palma de Mallorca: The Festa de l’Estendard (0)
- Palma de Mallorca: The Feast of Santa Lucía (0)
- Mallorca Palm Sunday (0)
- Mallorca Mare de Deu festival (0)
- Inca’s patron saints’ days’ feast: Sant Abdó and Sant Senén (0)
- Illes Balears: Balearic Nativity Scenes (0)
- Fiestas de San Agustín in Felanitx, Mallorca (0)
- Capdepera, Mallorca: Medieval market in Capdepera Castle (0)
- Calvià, Mallorca: King Jaume I festivities (0)
- Binissalem: Festa des Vermar, the grape harvest festival (0)
- Mallorca, Sant Bartomeu patron saint festivities of Montuïri (0)
Category: Spain festivals