Founded by the Romans in the foothills of the Serra de Tramuntana, Pollen has retained much of its old-world charm with narrow, twisting streets, some good restaurants and a lively Sunday market. The remains left by the town’s founders include Pont Romu, a bridge spanning the banks of the Torrente de Sant Jordi river, at the north end of town. After 1229, the Knights Templar began the building of the parish church of Nostra Senyora dels Angels.
Remodelled in the 17th century, the church facade has a fine rosette window, while its dark interior is decorated with paintings and a vast altar that is several storeys high. The pride of the town is the beautiful Via Crucis (Way of the Cross). It leads to the El Calvari chapel standing on top of the hills and housing a Gothic statue of Christ. Climbing the seemingly endless set of steps (365 in all), you pass the Stations of the Cross. The chapel may also be reached by walking along the streets. The statue of Christ is carried down to the parish church in a moving torchlight procession every Good Friday, during the Davallament (the Crucifixion).
The building of the former Convent de Sant Domingo (Dominican monastery) now houses the Museu Municipal with its collection of Gothic sacred art, archaeological finds and a small collection of modern paintings.
To soak up the sleepy atmosphere of Pollen, head for Placo Major, where the locals gather in the cafe and bars.
The family-friendly resort of Port de Pollen, situated 6 km (4 miles) to the east beside a pleasant bay, has a long, sandy beach. Just southeast of Pollen a steep narrow road, then a footpath, climbs 330 m (1,000 ft) to Puig de Maria, where a 17th-century hermitage has a rustic restaurant and bar, and simple rooms to let with wonderful views.