The sanctuary at Lluc is the spiritual centre of Mallorca and has been a place of pilgrimage for over 800 years. The main point of interest is the little statue of the Virgin (La Moreneta de Lluc), which, so the story goes, was found in a cave by an Arab shepherd boy who had converted to Christianity. The image was initially moved to the church but it kept returning to the same spot. A chapel was built to house this miraculous object and this has since been decorated with precious stones. Thousands of pilgrims now arrive here every year to pay homage.
The original Renaissance-Baroque church was built during 1622–84 and was designed by Jaume Blanquer. Much of the complex dates from the 18th and 19th centuries.
Statue of Joaquim Rosselló i Ferra`
Father Rossellu who arrived in Lluc in 1891, was the founder of the Sacred Heart Missionary Congregation and the spiritual reviver of the sanctuary.
Statue of Bishop Campins
A patron of the sanctuary, Bishop Pere-Joan Campins commissioned Antoni Gaud?and Guillem Reyn to renovate the basilica and build its Way of the Cross.
Museu de Lluc
Opened in 1952, the museum houses local handicraft, such as siurells (whistles) and majolica, as well as works of art, paintings, coins and archaeological finds.
. Els Porxets
. La Moreneta de Lluc
. Museu de Lluc
The buildings behind the church belong to the Els Blavets, a school choir founded in 1531. The name derives from the choir’s blue cassocks.
La Dormició de la Verge
The first of the seven steles carved by Miquell Cosquell and Pere Mer˜ol (1399), once standing along the road between Caimari and the sanctuary, now stands in Plaza dels Pelegrins.
The 16th-century building was extended in the early 18th century. It consists of pilgrim quarters on the first floor and stables on the ground floor.
La Moreneta de Lluc
The tiny statue of La Moreneta (“the little dark One”) is just 62 cm (24 in) high. It stands in a niche inside the Royal
Chapel, built during 1707–24, at the back of the main altar.
Plaza dels Pelegrins
The drive leading to the monastery is surrounded by greenery and lined with bars, cafe and souvenir shops. It provides a magnificent view of the Serra de Tramuntana.