Tag: Majorca tourism

Santuari de Lluc, Majorca

| February 1, 2012

The sanctuary at Lluc is the spiritual centre of Mallorca and has been a place of pilgrimage for over 800 years. The main point of interest is the little statue of the Virgin (La Moreneta de Lluc), which, so the story goes, was found in a cave by an Arab shepherd boy who had converted to Christianity. The image was initially moved to the church but it kept returning to the same spot. A chapel was built to house this miraculous object and this has since been decorated with precious stones. Thousands of pilgrims now arrive here every year to pay homage. Continue Reading

Santanyi, Majorca

| January 22, 2012

Santanyi old town is full of stone houses built from the local honey-coloured sandstone. The same sandstone was used in the building of the cathedral in Palma and Castell Bellver. Continue Reading

Colonia de Sant Jordi, Majorca

| January 18, 2012

The town of Colonia de Sant Jordi lies on the southern end of the island. It has a handful of modest hotels, a few restaurants, a pretty beach and an interesting harbour. Continue Reading

Palma Cathedral

| January 13, 2012

Palma’s cathedral, La Seu, is the most precious architectural treasure of the Balearic Islands and is regarded as one of Spain’s most outstanding Gothic structures. Continue Reading

Felanitx, Majorca

| January 9, 2012

From a distance, the busy little town of Felanitx looks as though it is surrounded by a wall with many turrets. As you approach, it becomes apparent that these are windmills built on the outskirts of town. Continue Reading

Inca, Majorca

| December 31, 2011

Inca is the third largest town on the island. A modern industrial place, visitors come here nevertheless, attracted by the cheap leather goods in Avinguda General Luque and Gran Via de Colon. Thursday, market day, is Inca’s busiest time. The stalls lining the streets and squares stretch over several districts of town. Here you can buy almost anything – souvenirs, household goods, flowers and food. Continue Reading

Train from Palma to Port de Soller

| December 30, 2011

The most enjoyable way to travel from Palma to Soller is aboard the “Red Arrow”, an electric narrow-gauge railway line, which opened in 1912. After passing through farmland, the 27-km (17-mile) route winds its way through the steep peaks and valleys of the Serra de Tramuntana. The line is justifiably regarded as one of the most attractive in Europe, and the narrow-gauge rolling stock, musty carriages and clanking engine only add to the experience. Continue Reading

Majorca tours: Palma, Valldemossa, Deià, Sóller

| December 29, 2011

Valldemossa
Valldemossa lying 17 kilometres from Palma along the s’Esgleieta road, is famous, among other reasons, for the Carthusian Monastery, known as La Cartuja, where Frédéric Chopin and Georges Sand spent the winter of 1838-1839.

The monastery (closed Sundays), with its distinctive green-tiled belfry, rises head and shoulders above the town. In the church, there are frescoes by Miguel Bayeu, Goya’s brother-in-law. The cloister encloses a beautiful garden, where summer concerts are held, with famous pianists playing Chopin’s works. The “Pleyel” piano which the Polish musician caused to be brought from Paris can still be seen here. Continue Reading

Majorca caves

| December 28, 2011

Majorca is renowned for its caves that are carved out of the island’s limestone rocks. Many of them were well-known by local people for centuries and they once offered protection for the earlier settlers, or functioned as hiding places from marauding pirates, dens for smugglers or religious sanctuaries. Continue Reading

Pollenca, Majorca

| December 25, 2011

Founded by the Romans in the foothills of the Serra de Tramuntana, Pollen has retained much of its old-world charm with narrow, twisting streets, some good restaurants and a lively Sunday market. The remains left by the town’s founders include Pont Romu, a bridge spanning the banks of the Torrente de Sant Jordi river, at the north end of town. After 1229, the Knights Templar began the building of the parish church of Nostra Senyora dels Angels. Continue Reading