The wonderful city of Alcúdia, encompassed by 14th-century walls, is situated at the base of the peninsula separating Pollen Bay from Alcúdia Bay on the island of Majorca. Originally, this was a Phoenician settlement. Having conquered the island, the Romans built a town here, called Pollentia, which from the 2nd century was the capital of the island. In 456, it was destroyed by the Vandals.
Around the year 800, Moors built their fortress here, naming it Al-Kudia (On the Hill). After the Reconquest, Alcúdia prospered as a trading centre well into the 19th century.
The beautifully restored town is entered through the vast Porta de Moll gate. The Gothic church of Sant Jaume at the centre is 13th-century.
Near the church are a few remains of Roman houses. Adjacent to these is Museu Monogroic, which displays objects from Roman times. On the outskirts of town, along the road to Port d’Alcúdia, is the Oratori de Santa Anna. Built in the early 13th century, it is one of the oldest Mallorcan sanctuaries.
Nearby are the remains of a first-century BC Roman theatre – this is the smallest Roman theatre to have survived in Spain.
Port d’Alcúdia, 2 km (1 mile) south of the town, is the most popular tourist destination on Mallorca’s northeast shores. It has a lovely sandy beach, a marina and a harbour as well as hotels, restaurants and clubs.
The road to Es Mal Pas brings you to Cap des Pinar where, in 1599, Philip II erected a watchtower, Torre Major. A branch road leads to the Ermita de la Victoia. It has a revered 15th-century wooden statue of Victoria, Alcúdia’s patron saint.